The 2019 Brilliant Careers Leadership Forum
We’re proud to announce the launch of the 2019 Brilliant Careers Leadership Forum to be held in Melbourne from 24 – 25th October, which aims to foster skills to encourage female leadership in the Australian screen industry. Building upon the success of the 2017 Brilliant Careers national conference, this year’s forum will address the gender imbalance in decision-making roles in the industry and support the emergence of the next generation of female leaders.
Made possible with the support of Film Victoria as Principal Partner and Event Partner Screen Australia, the NMF will present the one-day conference at RMIT University, bringing together close to 200 women for sessions on navigating leadership, developing confidence, influence and presence, in addition to offering valuable opportunities for attendees to make new connections across the screen industry.
The 2019 Brilliant Careers Leadership Forum will run over one evening and a full day at RMIT University in Melbourne, and will include:
- A special evening networking and screening function on Thursday 24th October.
- Leadership Forum with workshops and facilitated discussion covering key topics (all-day event) on Friday 25th October.
The 2019 Brilliant Careers Leadership Forum is made possible with the support of our Principal Partner – Film Victoria, as well as our Event Partner, Screen Australia, Government Partner, Creative Partnerships, Venue Partner, School of Media and Communications at RMIT University, and Event Supporters, HOYTS and Paramount Pictures.
The 2017 Brilliant Careers Leadership Program
In 2017, the NMF delivered the Brilliant Careers Leadership Program inspiring women to develop their leadership skills. Expressions of interest were accepted from women from all sections of the screen industry are urged to participate including exhibition, distribution, broadcast, post-production, production and cultural agencies. The Program comprised two parts – the Leadership Conference and the Mentor Program.
1. The NMF Brilliant Careers Leadership Conference
A one-day conference for 180 participants was held on Friday 24 February 2017 at RMIT University in Melbourne.
The conference provided practical tools and advice to maximise mentoring and networking opportunities, and examined the components and value of creating a personal brand. Read a full summary of the conference here:
2. The NMF Brilliant Careers Mentor Program
Fifty-six women were selected from conference participants to participate in the NMF Brilliant Careers Mentor Program. These women were invited to attend a round table dinner in their State or Territory. Each dinner was attended by a senior industry figure, a representative from the respective state screen agency and the Program Director of the Brilliant Careers Leadership Program.
The fifty-six women who took part in this program were then connected with a mentor for a minimum of 4 one-hour sessions that provided rare insights into their area of professional development. Women were encouraged to nominate mentors that they wished to work with, from within the screen industry or outside of it.
Mentors were also selected for applicant mentees by the Natalie Miller Fellowship from industry leaders who have already signed on to be mentors, including:
- Mike Baard, Managing Director, Universal Pictures International Australasia
- Stephen Basil-Jones, Executive Vice President Aust NZ, Sony Pictures Releasing
- Jo Bladen, General Manager, Studios, The Walt Disney Company, Australia & New Zealand
- Fiona Cameron, Chief Operating Officer, Screen Australia
- Mandy Chang, Head of Arts, ABC TV
- Martha Coleman, Producer/Partner, Revlover
- Amanda Duthie, Director/CEO, Adelaide Film Festival
- Gail Fuller, Co-Founder, Rising Sun Pictures
- Posie Graeme-Evans, Novelist, producer, editor, director and former Director of Drama at the Nine Network
- Ana Kokkinos, Feature Film and Television Director
- Wayne Lewis, Co-Founder, Rising Sun Pictures
- Sue Masters, Head of Scripted, SBS TV
- Seph McKenna, Head of Production, Roadshow Films
- Amanda Morrison, Transmedia Producer, Transmedia For Change
- Chris Oliver-Taylor, Managing Director, Matchbox Pictures
- Julie Raffe, Finance Director, Village Roadshow Limited
- Debra Richards, CEO, Ausfilm
- Jenni Tosi, CEO, Film Victoria
- Jude Troy, EVP TV Development and Acquisitions, eOne Films, ANZ
- Deanne Weir, Executive Director Channel Aggregation and Wholesale, Foxtel Australia
Expressions of interest for this Program are now closed. Thank you to all who registered their interest.
The 2017 NMF Brilliant Careers Leadership Program was made possible through the support of Screen Australia’s Gender Matters: Brilliant Careers program and was supported by Travel Partner, Stage and Screen, Venue Partner, School of Media and Communication, RMIT University, and Conference Networking Event Partner, Film Vic.